2021-03-22, updated: 2021-07-22
We are happy to announce the sixth pre-release of Nyxt version 2.0.0. If you missed the previous pre-release announcement, see here.
Nyxt 2 is a massive overhaul of the Nyxt 1 series. A lot of effort has been geared towards improving the code quality under the hood which should reflect on the overall user experience with better performance, increased stability and better accessibility.
This is a test release for everyone to try out before the final release. It contains experimental features and some parts are still unfinished. Please feel free to share your feedback on our GitHub issue tracker!
New prompt-buffer, replacing the minibuffer for all user interactions.
- Universal input method support (such as with UIM, IBus, etc.). In other words, you can now input text in any language (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Indic, etc.)
- Asynchronous suggestion computation: This implies a performance boost: prompt input is always responsive, regardless of the suggestion computation.
- Multi-source support: get suggestions from different source compositions! This is not fully leveraged for now, it will be in the coming version!
- Multi-action support: open the prompt, narrow down, mark, and press
M-returnto list all the actions you can operate on the marks.
- Multi-column display: all suggestion properties are configuration via the
C-]to configure the columns to display.
resume-promptcommand, for instance to resume a search where you left it.
- New "follow mode" (toggle with
C-c C-f). Try it in
switch-buffer, it will update the view with the selected suggestion!
describe-anycommand. It leverages the new prompt buffer multi-source feature to conflate all help sources.
Global history tree (GHT). See our article for an introduction.
nosavebuffer commands. A
nosavebuffer does not persist any data to disk. (This feature is also known as "icognito" or "private" mode in some other browsers.)
visual-mode. (Thanks to @kssytsrk!)
watch-mode. (Thanks to @aadcg!)
diffcommand. (Thanks to @aadcg!)
edit-with-external-editor. (Thanks to @aadcg!)
The edited HTML content is replicated in the editor, then the editor content is committed back upon closing.
Enable Intelligent Tracking Prevention by default.
Password interfaces now have user classes, thus they are configurable with
You can switch download engine with the
- Build and platform support:
New non-official platform support: FreeBSD.
macOS is down at the non-official state now. (Help welcome!)
For the complete change list, please consult the CHANGELOG.org file.
We hope you enjoy these new features, and that they help make you more productive. Thanks for reading :-)
The new prompt buffer in action (setting the URL from multiple sources):
The new prompt buffer being used for jump to heading (jumping across several pages):
Did you enjoy this article? Register for our newsletter to receive the latest hacker news from the world of Lisp and browsers!
- Maximum one email per month
- Unsubscribe at any time